Service Learning Final Blog
As an educated, privileged citizen in our society, what is your role in creating a society rooted in equality and justice? Do you feel you have a responsibility and why or why not?
As a Regis graduate, I hopefully imbue the core values of the Jesuit mission, “service of others”. My concerns should go beyond my own personal needs, and must include the needs of society. I feel an obligation to make meaningful contributions, increase awareness of the needs of others, and attempt to make a difference in the lives of those less fortunate. I have been extremely blessed in my life. It is easy to take for granted our good fortunes. I was quickly reminded of this with my first visit to a homeless shelter when starting my Service Learning commitment. We cannot forget or turn our backs to people in need. We all have responsibility to be involved citizens, to make the world a better place not only for our generation but for those who will follow. I leave Regis with a stronger sense of self and my commitment to the needs of others.
What have you learned about yourself and what are your future plans?
When starting the Service Learning component for the DNP, I remember feeling intimidated by this task. I was “at a loss” as to what type of project I would be able to find. Would I find it rewarding and have a sense of accomplishment, or would this just be a “requirement” for getting my DNP? In reflection, the Service Learning project has been an invaluable experience. I gained a great sense of empowerment and accomplishment working with Catholic Charities. This experience has given me a much greater awareness of the needs of the underserved populations within my local community. I made successful community relationships that will last beyond graduation for the DNP degree. I did not envision these outcomes when starting Service Learning. I plan to stay involved with Catholic Charities as I have a sense of community connection with this organization. My contributions, no matter how small or large, are appreciated and valued. I hope to also establish a Service Learning relationship the Montfort Clinic, which provides healthcare to indigent populations. The needs are endless.

1 Comments:
Outstanding reflective post Trish - You made a huge difference in these folks' lives! MG
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home