Sunday, August 14, 2011

Service Learning Final Blog

What was the best/worst/most challenging thing that happened this semester?

The best and worst thing that happened this semester was my starting and then quickly leaving a new APN position close to my home. I was thrilled to make this transition due to the increased exposure and involvement this position would provide in working with the underserved in my community. I was very sad to leave this position, but in my heart, I knew it was the right thing to do "on many levels". I was blessed to be able to return to my old job. That being said, the short time in this new position gave me incredible insight into the healthcare blight of the underserved in this community. There are only two primary care practices willing to care for the underserved (no health insurance) in this community of almost 100,000. These clinics are so over-booked, people often wait 1-2 months for an appointment. Hence, they present to the local Emergency Department for care that should/could be managed by a PCP. It was insightful to hear their frustration in finding healthcare.
One of my challenges has been finding time to remain actively involved in my project at Catholic Charities. I continue to meet, email, and talk with the new manager of the homeless shelter and assist when able. I have made and delivered sack lunches for people staying in the shelter for their week-end lunch meal on two different weekends. One of the weekends, I made 36 lunches in my kitchen!  I was both challenged and rewarded by this task.  


What can you do differently as an individual and as a professional to support and advocate for some of the issues you encountered during your service learning experience?

I believe continued involvement, both  personally and professionally is a absolute must in order to support and advocate for the underserved in my community. I plan to continue my relationship with Catholic Charities and the Guadalupe Shelter. I will particpate in ongoing support of the "Recuperating Room." which provides 24/7 shelter to homeless just discharged from the local hospital. I woul like to champion a noon meal as part of the routine services provided to this population. Hopefully, I will volunteer as an APN at a free healthcare clinic (probably after completion of the DNP due to time constraints). I continue involvement in healthcare advocacy by attending the Colorado Nurses Association Government and Public Policy (GAPP) and Colorado Nurses for Access to Healthcare for All (CNAHCA) meetings. I advocate for independent NP practice and believe it will be part of the solution to our current national healthcare crisis. I believe independent NP practice creates improved accessibility and more affordable healthcare to underserved populations (no healthcare insurance).

3 Comments:

Blogger Felicia P. said...

Hi Trish!

I have enjoyed following your service learning blog this semester. I agree that there is a great need to offer affordable and easily accessible healthcare to the underserved and vulnerable populations in our communities. I too see many clients having to use the ED as their PCP due to limited availability of appointments at the local "free" clinic. I am sure that your future efforts as an APN will allow more clients to be served in your community.

Take care and God Bless!

Felicia P.

August 14, 2011 at 11:09 PM  
Blogger Ruth K said...

Trish,

Catholic Charities is a wonderful organization and does so much good for the community, unfortunately, money is not always available to continue some of the services they provide. 36 sack lunches, now that is a challenge! I am sorry to hear about the position that did not work out. Fortunately, you discovered the wrong fit early. As we have spoken of in our class with Dr. Wimett, change happens throughout our lives. Adding a noon lunch would be great but you are right about waiting until completing your DNP. It seems like there are not enough hours in the day now to get everything done. I look forward to hearing more about your service learning project.

Ruth

August 18, 2011 at 8:57 PM  
Blogger Joanna Dominick said...

Hi Trish
Catholic Charities sounds like a wonderful organization. I had not heard of it before you mentioned it. I also did not realize they have a free clinic in Denver. It sounds like they do many things for the underserved population. Working in urgent care, I also see MANY people without health insurance. It is so disheartening when you call a sliding scale clinic and there is a 2 month wait list. Your capstone project is SO important not only independent NPs but also for health care accessibility!
Joanna

August 19, 2011 at 5:26 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home