Sunday, June 26, 2011

Midterm Service Learning Blog

For this Service Learning blob, we are asked to critically reflect on our service committment. According to Ash & Clayton (2009), critical relection generates learning, deepens learning, and documents learning (p. 27). The DEAL model for critical reflection will direct this discussion.

Description of experiences: I continue in my service committement with Catholic Charities, specifically Weld County in Northern Colorado. I am involved in the Guadalupe Shelter which is the only overnight shelter for homeless individuals and families in this community. The shelter provides an evening meal and is open from 7pm to 7am year round. Currently, Catholic Charities is building a new administrative building which will also include a new shelter. The creation of this new shelter will give this service agency the ability to provide 24 hour shelter for people being discharged from North Colorado Medical Center (NCMC) that have no where to go. Currently, these patients either have an extended hospitalization and/or are discharged to the street. I am the co-chair of a planning committee to facilitate the protocols, criteria of patients who may come to the "Recuperating Room". The goal will be a 1 to 3 day stay for these individuals to allow them time to continue in their healing process. Also, as part of my service, I have made/provided sack lunches for a weekend meal (During the week days, the homeless can have a noon meal at the Salvation Army, but on weekend days there is no meal service available).

Exaime the experience: I continue to find this service committment of working with the underserved and homeless populations a humbling experience. It has truly made me appreciate my blessings in life. I am guilty of taking so much for granted; health, job, relationships, family, finan
cial security. I can not imagine existing in the world of the homeless. So many of these individuals have co-morbid behavior health problems (psychiatric, ETOH, illicit drug use). These underlying factors contribute and/or create their inablilty to function in normal society. With reduction in government programs and support services, this population becomes even more compromised. The social and justice disparities are moral dilemmas that continue to haunt our society. 

Articulate the Learning: With this service committment, I continue to grow and learn. I am meeting and working with members of my community in an entirely new and different capacity. I have taken on projects and tasks without hesitation. This experience continues to expand my horizons and take me in new directions. The Guadalupe Shelter will open the end of August. There is much work to complete prior to this grand opening, protocols to complete, meetings to attend. I have offered to physically help with the transition/move to the new shelter. I will be attending the Open House scheduled for August 26th. I plan to continue in this service committement after completion of my DNP program. I have found my passion and am committed to 'giving back' through ongoing service to my community. I frequently remind myself, "But for the grace of God, there go I".

Ash, S.L., & Clayton, PlH. (2009). Generating, deepening, and documenting learning: The power of critical reflection in applied learning. Journal of Applied Learning in Higher Education, 1, 25-48.

1 Comments:

Blogger Felicia P. said...

Hi Trish!

Thanks for sharing such an inspiring story of service learning. I too am working with clients who are underserved and many of them are homeless. There is such a need for access to resources in this population. I am praying for the success of the new shelter and the many clients that you will be able to serve. I am looking forward to following your blog this summer.

Take care and God Bless!

Felicia

July 3, 2011 at 4:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home