Monday, May 9, 2011

Service Learning Blog Entry 2

1. Are people you came in contact through this experience having some needs met through the community activities? Are community activities like these necessary and/or sufficient to fulfill these community and individual needs? Do you see other means to do so?
The individuals being served by Catholic Charities are having their needs met through the support of this charitable organization. This organization provides service programs for senior services, victim's assistance, emergency assistance, promoting safe and stable families and overnight short-term emergency shelter individuals and families at the Guadalupe Shelter. I believe these are all vital services being provided to the under-served in Weld County. As vital as these services are, they are insufficient to truly meet the needs of this population. I am currently involved in the project to create a "recuperating room" for patients being discharged from North Colorado Medical Center (NCMC). These are individuals who still need a bed/shelter to continue short-term recuperating and healing. Currently, these individuals are discharged to the street. Catholic Charities is currently constructing a new administrative building which will also house a much needed expanded shelter. This new shelter will have increased capacity to support the homeless population in Northern Colorado.
2. What was the best/worst/most challenging thing that happened this semester?
The best thing that happened this semester was finding/choosing Catholic Charities as my site for Service Learning. I feel blessed to have met and work with these individuals who are passionate about their service to those in need. It has been a very humbling experience. I take for granted the fortune and blessings in my life. This continued experience helps me stay grounded and refocused, realizing the true priorities in life.
3. What have you learned about yourself?
I have learned to be more out going and confident in meeting new people and in creating new relationships. This experience has opened new professional and personal opportunities for me. I am becoming "connected" to my community. Once completion of the credential process, I hope to also volunteer with Sunrise Clinic, providing care to low socioeconomic and homeless populations.
4. What are your future service learning plans?
I intend to stay active with Catholic Charities. My project as "co-chair" of the Guadalupe Shelter's new recuperation room will not come to fruition until completion of the new center in August 2011. Again, I hope to also work in a volunteer capacity with the Sunrise Clinic. NR 704 has reinforced my belief that nursing must embrace not only the populations in each individual's practice but also embrace community and global health. Northern Colorado is my community and home. I plan to continue to serve those in need.

1 Comments:

Blogger Trish Dey said...

This was posted in April, but to a different/wrong blog site. My mistake. Just trying to get this fixed...Thanks for your understanding. Trish

May 9, 2011 at 10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home