Service learning
For my Service Learning project, I have chosen Catholic Charities. This is a human service agency with a goal to promote the dignity and self-worth of all individuals. This goal is accomplished through a variety of programs that blend advocacy and service delivery to foster individual and community empowerment. Catholic Charities is the charitable arm of the Archdiocese of Denver, and inspired by God's love and compassion. Catholic Charities extends the healing ministry of Jesus Christ to the poor and thos in need. The organization is dedicated to helping people of all ages, faiths, ethnic bacgrounds and economic circumstances. I am working with Catholic Charities/Weld County Organization which is in Northern Colorado.
Services/programs provided include senior services, victims assistance, emergency assistance, victims assistance, promoting safe and stable families and overnight short-term emergency shelter to individuals and families at the Guadalupe Shelter. The shelter also provides an evening meal which is provided all by volunteers in the community. This organization is currently very involved in the building of a new shelter, which will be complete in August 2011.
Funding for Catholic Charities is all through private donation and support. Part of the finances obtained in building the new shelter was obtained through Federal and State grant application and funding. The Guadalupe Shelter is a critical service provided in Northern Colorado.
Selfishly, I was initially drawn to this organization as it is local (I live in Greeley, CO) and it would be one less day of driving. After my first visit, I knew this was the right choice, no matter where they are located or how much driving this would require. On my first day of orientation, I toured the Guadalupe Shelter. It was a very humbing experience. The need for this service is overwhelming. I can not imagine a life without a home or shelter, spending the day wandering the city streets, and walking 2 miles to get to the shelter, as there is no public transportation service. I was and remain most bothered that women and children are living this experience. It has haunted me since my visit. I was suddenly struck by all the blessings and fortune in my life. But for the grace of God, there go I.
The people who stay at the Shelter have an evening meal and often a small breakfast before they leave for the day. During the week days, lunch is provided by the Salvation Army. On weekends, there is no service available to provide food during the day. My idea is to provide sack lunches on the weekends, especially for the children. Apparently, other volunteers have suggested this, but have not followed through. I intend to begin next week-end, when I am not working.
I immediately connected with the Volunteer Coordinator and the Regional Director. Both are passionate about the mission and the work being done on a daily basis by Catholic Charities. When meeting the Regional Director, we instantly found my volunteer work/project. I am now involved in helping establish a 24 hour room/shelter for patients/people being discharged from North Colorado Medical Center that have no place to go and still need support/help. We are meeting with the ED case manager from NCMC next week to move this project forward. Having the ability to provide 24 hour shelter at the Guadalupe Shelter will be a reality in August when the new center is opened. This is a huge leap forward in providing assistance to those in need. I am excited and blessed to be a part of this project. More to come...
Services/programs provided include senior services, victims assistance, emergency assistance, victims assistance, promoting safe and stable families and overnight short-term emergency shelter to individuals and families at the Guadalupe Shelter. The shelter also provides an evening meal which is provided all by volunteers in the community. This organization is currently very involved in the building of a new shelter, which will be complete in August 2011.
Funding for Catholic Charities is all through private donation and support. Part of the finances obtained in building the new shelter was obtained through Federal and State grant application and funding. The Guadalupe Shelter is a critical service provided in Northern Colorado.
Selfishly, I was initially drawn to this organization as it is local (I live in Greeley, CO) and it would be one less day of driving. After my first visit, I knew this was the right choice, no matter where they are located or how much driving this would require. On my first day of orientation, I toured the Guadalupe Shelter. It was a very humbing experience. The need for this service is overwhelming. I can not imagine a life without a home or shelter, spending the day wandering the city streets, and walking 2 miles to get to the shelter, as there is no public transportation service. I was and remain most bothered that women and children are living this experience. It has haunted me since my visit. I was suddenly struck by all the blessings and fortune in my life. But for the grace of God, there go I.
The people who stay at the Shelter have an evening meal and often a small breakfast before they leave for the day. During the week days, lunch is provided by the Salvation Army. On weekends, there is no service available to provide food during the day. My idea is to provide sack lunches on the weekends, especially for the children. Apparently, other volunteers have suggested this, but have not followed through. I intend to begin next week-end, when I am not working.
I immediately connected with the Volunteer Coordinator and the Regional Director. Both are passionate about the mission and the work being done on a daily basis by Catholic Charities. When meeting the Regional Director, we instantly found my volunteer work/project. I am now involved in helping establish a 24 hour room/shelter for patients/people being discharged from North Colorado Medical Center that have no place to go and still need support/help. We are meeting with the ED case manager from NCMC next week to move this project forward. Having the ability to provide 24 hour shelter at the Guadalupe Shelter will be a reality in August when the new center is opened. This is a huge leap forward in providing assistance to those in need. I am excited and blessed to be a part of this project. More to come...

5 Comments:
Trish,
It sounds like you are really moving forward with your service learning project. How rewarding you must feel helping to develop a project for a vulnerable, underserved population that needs health care assistance. I volunteer off and on at the Good Samaritan Shelter in Denver and the need for health care for the homeless population is great. Catholic Charities is a wonderful organization and provides so many benefical services to the vulnerable and underserved populations. It sounds like you will continue to work with Catholic Charities into the future.
Ruth
Hi Ruth,
Thanks for your review. Yes, I feel very fortunate to have found this service learning site. What great things Catholic Charities does for those in need.
test blog comment
Trish,
What a fabulous service you are doing for your fellow man. I signed up to work at the Samaritan House a large Catholic Charity shelter in Denver, but fortunately I was able to do my service work at the VAMC where I work. Ironically, many of the veterans I care for are homeless and reside at the Samaritan House.
The VA offers extensive social services including a committment to end homelessness in five years. There is a national call center for homeless veterans with 24/7 access to trained counselors. There are currently 1650 homeless vets in the Eastern Colorado Health Care System with 820 daily slots for vouchers or transitional housing. The VA outreach and walk-in clinics for homeless veterans extended their hours from two mornings a week, to four five hour days a week. The HUD-VASH program provided permanent housing for eligible homeless Veterans who are willing to participate in drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Case Management is required to successfully maintain recovery and sustain community housing.
Hi Trish,
Sounds like you are impacting many at the shelter. It sounds like a wonderful site for service, and that you are doing a great job. I wish you luck. You are inspiring with what you are doing. thanks for sharing.
Janet W
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home